Cake Truffles at the Milk Bar

I haven’t been to Momofuku in quite a while. In fact, since they stopped selling their amazing cakes by the slice I think I’ve kind of been boycotting them. Then last week something changed. I had been reading Serious Eats when I saw a post about Cake truffles now being available at Momofuku Milk bar. Cake truffles! I was so excited to check them out it was unreal. Unfortunately it was late Monday night so I had to wait until Tuesday and all through a long work day until I could get my fix. It was excruciating. Finally I was zipping off the train and walking inside the bar.

They had about 3 different flavors but with 3 truffles in one bag I thought trying out just two flavors for now was more than enough. I know I have no will power when it come s to sweets so whatever I buy is going to be eaten within seconds. I got one bag of chocolate and one bag of birthday cake.  The chocolate cake truffle looked like a regular chocolate truffle you could buy anywhere. Cocoa powder dusting on the outside and just slightly larger than an average chocolate.




The inside was a much different story. Rich, fudgy, smooth chocolate cake- this was unlike any truffle I’ve ever had! I felt like I was eating a delicious undercooked brownie.



I was completely sold on the idea of cake truffles after the chocolate but then I tried the birthday cake.



I had thought the chocolate truffle was good, but the birthday cake was phenomenal! Growing up my friend and I used to get together to bake cakes using a mix out the box. Usually we would only get partway through the cake making process before a food fight of some sort broke up. We would have batter in our eyes, hair and all over whosever kitchen we choose to be our battleground that day. When I bit into this truffle all of those memories came flooding back to me. It literally had the same exact taste- cake batter. Only this cake batter was better because it was covered in a delicious white chocolate coat of icing. I couldn’t get over how much I loved the taste for these guys. Somehow I managed to save one for Mr. T and he enjoyed them as well but not quite to the level of ecstasy that I did. Whatever- he always has a problem with the Momofuku empire.

I have been dreaming of these little guys ever since and am plotting my next trip back. Oh glorious dessert bar how much I’ve missed you! I’m back Momofuku! I’m back!

Momofuku

Comments